Signature Spaces

Published: Friday, December 6, 2013

Updated: Friday, December 6, 2013 12:12

Armstrong Center 6

Lauren Olson | Photography Editor

Wiikiaami Room

Bob and Doris ’52 Pulley Diner

This 50’s-style diner serves breakfast, burgers and milkshakes 24/7 in a setting that will make you think you’ve gone back in time. Inspired and donated by Miami Mergers Bob and Doris Pulley, whose first dates were held in similar venues, this facility boasts bright-red bar stools and booths with classic black-and-white tile. Seating for the diner also extends out to the Joslin Family Terrace, a second-floor patio complete with trees, chairs and tables. With its late hours and authentic atmosphere, this dining option is expected to be a hot spot for Miami students.

Slant Walk

Running right through the heart of the Armstrong Student Center, just as its namesake runs through the heart of Miami’s campus, Slant Walk was built to make all parts of the building accessible from a central location. It starts just beyond the lobby with a massive staircase that passes through the food court and levels out at the Great Seal, following under the offices of student organizations. As the university’s architect John Seibert said, Armstrong was built with transparency in mind, and Slant Walk is a key component to providing that transparency.

Shade Family Room

Formerly the Navy/ROTC building of Rowan Hall, this portion of Armstrong is considered the “living room of campus.” The room is furnished with dozens of couches and chairs, intended to provide a comfortable setting for students to socialize and study. The walls depict Miami life, both then and now, in many different ways: Miamians in military, Miami academic traditions, Myaamia tribe, Oxford, Miami architecture, Miami societies and organizations, RedHawks athletics and Miamians in public service. The room is complete with gold, outlined letters of Miami’s fight song and a cozy gas fireplace.

The Commons

This area is essentially Armstrong’s food court, with many unique options catered especially to Miami students’ desires. Before construction began, the Associated Student Government approved all of the food concepts for this facility, furthering the idea of Armstrong being “for the students, by the students.” The Commons includes a bakery/café option called Haines’ Boulangerie, a Mongolian and Asian grill called Mein Street, a build-your-own Mexican restaurant called Serrrano, pasta and pizza options at Sundial Pizza Company, and a coffee and ice cream shop called Miami Ice. These dining facilities were created to emphasize two priorities – customizable and healthy/fresh – which are the main desires of today’s Miami students.

The Pavilion

Comparable to Shriver’s Multi-Purpose Room, this space can accommodate just about any event, from lectures and performances to banquets and weddings. At 8,000 square feet, it is not only 25 percent larger than the Shriver MPR but it is also the largest event space on Miami’s campus. Not even open for us and the room has already been booked for several major events, including a wedding and the student-targeted SnowBall in January. Like Shriver, the Pavilion can be divided into three separate sections; this allows several groups to use the room at once and smaller groups to use the space effectively.

Wiikiaami Room

Meaning “house” or “dwelling” in the Myaamia language, the Wiikiaami Room is a circular room that was built to encourage interaction and engagement. With its capacity of only 46 people, this room is suited for smaller events and activities but can still be rented out. The lodge-like room has two rows of wooden seating with intricate carvings and designs, handmade by a member of the Myaamia tribe. The Myaamia center has been working with Miami students from the tribe as well as with the art museum to include pieces that educate the campus community on the history, traditions and culture of the Myaamians. Alumni Richard and Emily Smucker donated this room.