Students explore theater in winter term

Published: Monday, November 25, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 00:12

Thespians and causal theater-goers alike are excited about the upcoming Music Theatre Intensive offered during the new winter term. When the Musical Theatre minor was announced two years ago, students inundated the department with requests for opportunities for non-majors and students that were not currently taking any courses in theatre. In response to this surge of interest, the Winter Music Theatre Intensive was created to help students all over campus to express their passion for theater.

The course itself (SCA 299A) is designed specifically for non-majors to help them improve their singing, acting, and dancing skills. Over the span of three weeks, the three-credit-hour workshop will help students to perfect their strong skills and build upon weaker ones. At the end of the intensive, all students will perform selections from Broadway in a cabaret performance to showcase their growth as performers.

Each day begins with a dance and movement exercise and the students are then divided into acting or voice classes. After lunch, the two groups switch in order for the students to get training in all aspects of the skills needed to succeed in theater. After these classes finish for the day, students will then participate in a clinic, master class, or presentation by professionals in the world of musical theater. The course can also be part of a self-designed thematic sequence in theatre to compliment the student's current area of study.

“We want to encourage non-majors to enroll,” Alison Acord, the Co-Director for the Musical Theatre Minor, said. “Everyone, no matter their major or experience level, can benefit from the self-confidence learned from acting, singing, and dancing.”

Acord described past experiences in which former students have recounted the importance of taking the workshop. The confidence they gained from their experiences not only aided them in preparation for professional theater auditions but for internships and interviews as well. From learning what to say to what to wear, the intensive provides several great tips for success on the stage.

With some 3,800 students preparing for the upcoming winter term, Assistant Provost for Global Initiatives Cheryl Young recognized that they may have important questions about its technical aspects.

“There are so many offices available and willing to help answer questions,” Young said. “We are here to help and support our students.”

Young suggests that students learn about all of the innovative experiences available for further learning by visiting the FAQ located at http://www.miamioh.edu/winterterm/faqs/index.html.

As for the Music Theatre Intensive, senior Dallas Ray is eager to participate.

“This semester, I decided that I really wanted to pursue theater after college,” Ray said. “This is a really neat opportunity for anyone interested in musical theatre, especially for those preparing for upcoming show auditions.”

The deadline to register is Dec. 6.