Cheezies record Christmas single for 25th anniversary

Arts & Entertainment Editor

Published: Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 00:12

The Cheezies, an all-male a cappella group out of the Miami University Men’s Glee Club, released their first Christmas single Wednesday. The single, a cover of Josh Groban’s rendition of “I’ll Be Home For Christmas,” was recorded in early November at a student home passed down through Glee Club members, the Club House.

“This is the 25th year of the Cheezies being on campus,” senior Ch ase Hodge, president of the group, said. “We figured a Christmas single would be a good way to celebrate this milestone.”

The group invited back several alumni to work with them in preparation for the recording as well as to sing on the track itself. Sophomore Ryan Fry, who serves as music director for the group, sings the solo on the single.

“We had everyone in the group suggest a potential song to record and then voted out of the pool,” Fry said. “Once we had it picked we got the arrangement done and spent about a month and a half preparing it for recording.”

The single was arranged and recorded by A Cappella Psych, a production company specialized in a cappella music. Recording one person at a time while they heard their part played on the computer through headphones, the process took two full days to complete.

“Recording the Cheezies was an enjoyable process,” Matt Caruso, the company’s founder and head of production, said. “It’s always great to record singers who have never recorded before. You can get some really great takes that they never knew were possible before recording.”

Caruso is no stranger to the a cappella scene at Miami, having recorded full length albums and singles with several groups on campus. He and his company have future plans to do more recording at Miami as well.

“It makes it really easy to not only record, but to make the most out of each take.”

The Cheezies are using this release as momentum into next semester. Along with performing with the Glee Club on their annual winter tour, they’ve got plans for a 25th Anniversary concert in the works.

“We’re really focused on finding our own, unique sound,” Fry said. “I can’t give away too many details about next semester but people can stay up to date on what we’re doing by liking our Facebook page.”

“I’ll Be Home For Christmas” performed by The Cheezies will be available on iTunes Wednesday. A release party for the single will take place 10 p.m. Wednesday at the Hatch.