Bringing out Oxford’s undiscovered talent

Ben's Boombox

Published: Monday, January 27, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 27, 2014 23:01

Have you ever pondered the question of how artists became successful? There are a lot of factors at play. Practicing until perfection, using your tools to the extreme and finding the right audience are important ingredients for the recipe of success. 

The City of Oxford has hosted names as big as Goo Goo Dolls, Lupe Fiasco, Luke Bryan and many others in the past five years. In order to know how tall the top is, one must come to rest at the bottom. These musicians have all seen the darkest of days at one time or another. They have also started in towns just like Oxford. They stand before a crowd, who does not care for their name, and try to put on a show: the constant struggle for any newcomer in the entertainment industry. 

Oxford has a lot of potential. Being so spaciously small compared to neighboring university cities like Cincinnati, Columbus and Dayton, word can spread quickly. There are many people who will argue that “any press is good press” because it gets your name out there. The power of this column is to give a voice to those who deserve it: positive in nature, constructive in attitude. Oxford is a learning community, mainly for its large student population. To be successful, you must recognize the success around you. The entertainment business is a tough one to get into. With all the bumps that are in the roads to success, wouldn’t it be a good idea to be the marker that helps with direction?

This column will be one for recognizing success in the entertainment industry of Oxford. Too many times have the struggling performers been walked by and not been given an appreciated listen. Many of you might have walked Uptown during warmer weather this past semester and seen a young guitarist playing her heart out on a bench next to the Skyline Chili.  She isn’t playing another cover of that Bob Dylan/Old Crow Medicine Show/Darius Rucker song called “Wagon Wheel.” It’s one of her own songs. Pure creation. It’s the way an artist can hold onto their history, by expressing it through art.

This column will point you in the direction you can go to support local artists, be it writing, poetry, painting, theater, digital art, blues rock, country, hard rock, acoustic rock, jazz, maybe reggae (we’ll see). If you don’t like their brand, an appreciated head nod is better than a discomforting yell. Let’s do what is best for our learning community by recognizing those who have success hidden inside them. It’s time to bring it out.