Art exhibit features dozens of mediums

Arts & Entertainment Editor

Published: Monday, January 14, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 14, 2013 22:01

The Miami University Art Museum is kicking off this semester’s main exhibit with a student-only reception Wednesday. The Department of Art Faculty and Alumni Exhibition features work from current, visiting and emeriti faculty as well as alumni of the department of art.

This biennial exhibit alternates between the Heistand Gallery and the Art Museum, but always features unique works. Alumni are contacted by faculty and asked to submit three pieces, of which one is then selected by a jury to be a part of the exhibit.

“People often think that this is just an opportunity for any alumni to present what they’ve been working on, but there’s actually a comprehensive selection process,” Sherri Krazl, Coordinator of Marketing and Communications for the museum, said.

This year’s exhibit features 68 works from 52 contributors and spans dozens of mediums. Many of the works are difficult to describe, due to their uniqueness, such as an intricate floor piece no more than an inch high or a 20-foot tower of clothing that you need to see to understand.

The opening of this exhibit is being complemented by a reception for students that will have music, food and non-alcoholic drinks. Attendees will get to check out the exhibit as well as the museum’s other galleries and can take part in a photo booth with an oversized picture frame and dozens of props to choose from.

Krazl said the museum is always trying to reach out to students.

“We want students to come check out what we have to offer,” Krazl said. “Admission is always free, and you can even come sit in the gallery and study.”

The Art Museum has several other offerings throughout the semester, including a contemporary art movie series and several lectures from artists being featured in the exhibit.

The free student-only reception will take place 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Miami University Art Museum located at 801 S. Patterson Ave. The museum is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 12 to 5 p.m. Saturdays from 12. Admission is always free.