Student arrested for inducing panic with Facebook picture

Published: Thursday, February 9, 2006

Updated: Sunday, February 14, 2010 23:02

The investigation of the Jan. 9 rape of a Miami University student continues, but the Oxford Police Department has charged a first-year student who posted the composite sketch of the rape suspect on http://facebook.com. James Sharpe, 18, was arrested and charged for inducing panic Feb. 3 after two female students called the OPD and complained about his personal profile on the Web site, which displayed the suspect's sketch as his own picture.

Sharpe was scheduled to appear in front of the judge at Oxford's Area One Court Thursday morning, but the hearing was rescheduled for Feb. 16.

"Our duty, when someone brings an issue to us of a criminal nature is to do what our part of it is," Squance said. "And our part is to determine if there is probable cause and to issue charges."

According to a Feb. 9 press release from the OPD, police officers and detectives continue to apply resources and investigative hours to all events reported to them.

It is unknown whether the university will look into Sharpe's charges at this time.

"I don't know that we have an opinion at this time," said Richard Nault, vice president of Student Affairs. "If a student is found by judicial affairs to be a threat to the university community, charges are filed."