Delta Delta Delta chapter shuts down for 2 years

Published: Friday, February 20, 2009

Updated: Sunday, February 14, 2010 23:02

The Miami University Delta Delta Delta chapter received a two-year suspension from campus for hazing new members.

According to Jackye Clark, national president of Tri Delta Fraternity, a small portion of the chapter contributed to the hazing incident.

"We are deeply disappointed in the choices made by several members of our chapter at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, last month, and since learning of the hazing incident have worked closely in partnership with the university to thoroughly investigate the situation," Clark said.

According to Lauren Shannon, president of the Delta Beta chapter of Tri Delta at Miami, the individuals involved in the incident did not deliberately attempt to cause controversy or harm to anyone in the chapter.

"Select members of our chapter who took part in the activities on Thursday, Jan. 29 did not participate with any ill intent and truly wanted only for members to feel welcomed and special," Shannon said.

Clark said Tri Delta's executive board laments the current situation and the subsequent punishment. Clark said the decision was increasingly more difficult considering the Tri Delta chapter has avoided any serious issues throughout the near century it has existed on Miami's campus.

"This decision is made with a heavy heart, as the chapter at Miami University has enjoyed an uninterrupted 98-year span and positive track record with its host institution until now," Clark said.

According to Clark, the punishment for the sanction has been determined and implemented by Tri Delta's national executive board. Following the two-year campus suspension, the sorority will be allowed to return in January 2011.

Clark said specific members of the Delta Beta chapter who were more closely related with the event will be held responsible for their actions and receive individual punishments.

"Any Tri Delta members of the chapter who have violated Tri Delta's obligations of membership will be held accountable via individual sanctions, which may include permanent removal from membership," Clark said.

Regardless of the punishment, Shannon said Miami's Tri Delta chapter remains positive and hopes other Greek organizations can benefit from their situation.

"Our great hope is that the entire Greek system and campus community learns from our experience that any type of hazing behavior is wrong, and can result in serious consequences," Shannon said.

Shannon said the Tri Delta chapter acknowledges their achievements and all they have accomplished at Miami as they remain optimistic for their return to campus after the two-year suspension is complete.

"Tri Delta is proud to have been a positive, contributing member of this campus since 1911, and we look forward to returning to Miami in January of 2011, our centennial anniversary year," Shannon said.